Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rainbows in the Dark - A Dream

The following is a snippet of a dream that I originally failed to recall upon awakening Monday Sept. 5, 2011, but only remembered later that morning after an encounter with a crow on the way to work. I rarely share dreams with more than one person (my wife) given I believe they are tools for solving personal issues, though given certain symbolism present in this one (and related synchronicities that followed) I thought I would put this out there to see if it resonates with anyone else.

This particular scene of a much larger dreamscape (which I cannot coherently recall) took place in something like a cage, I suppose more specifically an animal shelter (the environment seemed to be fashioned out of my memories of the shelter where we got our dog a few years ago). In this particular cell were two beautifully coloured birds resembling Rainbow Lorikeets, a type of bird widely known here in Australia. The birds in the dream had green backs with blue, yellow, red, orange, and a tiny bit of purple on their sides and underneath. Having anthropomorphized them from the beginning, I could tell they belonged together and had some meaningful relationship as if they were a couple. I got a sense of a great love binding them. Here's an example of the birds I saw in the dream:

While they were in this cage, they communicated and played briefly, and then I noticed the door was open. I wasn’t sure if they were in there by choice or were just unaware that they could leave anytime. I then assumed there were more doors beyond that location that kept them enclosed.

Immediately another much larger bird flew in through the cage door straight at the two in the corner. It was quite large and jet black, and it appeared to be shiny and slightly wet, as if its wings were coated with grease. I could feel the cold wind as it shot past me flapping its wings and watched as it landed on both birds. A struggle ensued, and the huge black bird (I wasn’t sure if it was a crow, raven, or something else) covered the two rainbow birds and attempted to smother them as they writhed beneath its shifting wings.

I remember it was horrifying in the dream, as I felt part of the scene, perhaps as though I was a third rainbow bird watching my brethren being murdered before me. My emotions were going unchecked as the scene played out. The black bird shifted its weight and pressed its wings to get a better grip, matching the thumping and wriggling of the little birds’ efforts to escape. I was there, but in no position to make any real difference, like I was locked in my own cell and could only observe.

In a matter of seconds in ‘dreamtime’ one of the little birds managed to break free from beneath the right wing of the bird (the black bird was facing away from me towards the wall), and it hobbled out of the way with its wings splayed, belly to the floor. The other continued to fight only to be quickly overcome. The black bird turned, tucked its beak in towards its prey, and shook its head to get a hold of the little one and managed to grab it between its body and right wing. It then picked up the bird, gathered a bit of momentum, and took off back out the cage door in a big flapping mess.

This all took place in like I said a matter of seconds in dreamtime, and when I remember it now as I write, I see only certain frames – as though it was a movie shot at 2 frames per second. The last few frames are of the remaining bird watching in horror as the other is taken, and the complete torrential sadness that followed – the helplessness of being overwhelmed by an inescapable evil, and the uncertainty of the wellbeing of the companion. The emotion and perceived involvement was more than enough to fill any ‘dream-gaps’ – as they flew away I experienced both the terror of the captured bird, and the shock and horror (and soon, the resulting sorrow) of the remaining bird that witnessed the other’s abduction. I also felt my own reactions to the scene, but there was nothing felt regarding the black bird. It was like a mechanism carrying out orders; no emotion, no hunger, no satisfaction, guilt, stress, joy - nothing. It was as if it was a dark abyss manifested to carry out a natural process.

So, that is all remember of that dream, and as stated in the opening paragraph I did not remember this when I woke up. I did not recall it until about two hours later while driving to work. I noticed ahead of me a crow flying low and in the same direction as me, and this scene came back to me as an unlocked memory. I knew immediately I had just dreamt it.

I felt there was an important message embedded in it, whether it be solely for me or perhaps others as well. I then wondered exactly what kind of bird the large black one was. I thought that if it was a message or meaningfully symbolic, knowing the type of bird would be crucial. Given its size and appearance, I’ve found that the proper description of a Raven matches most closely to what I saw in the dream. The wingspan was between 1.5 and 2 meters, an estimation which is based on my ‘visual’ comparison of the bird and Rainbow Lorikeets.

My initial feeling of what was being shown in the dream was a metaphor representing a choice between darkness and light; the two birds represented two possible versions of the same entity with two different outcomes, though I'm not sure which is better - being taken away or left alone in a cage. There's obviously more to it, and I would love to know your take on this dream and if it resonates with anyone at all. I've since had a look into the symbolism a bit and found the following links:

Raven Symbolism

Raven as an omen

Raven - Native American Symbolism 1

Raven - Native American Symbolism 2

Also, I would like to add that later that night after work (Monday Sept. 5) I was listening to 181.Fm Hairband 80's (eighties heavy metal) on Tune In, and a song came on that resonated with what I was thinking regarding the dream. It was called 'Rainbow in the Dark' by Dio. I was thinking about how the birds were rainbows smothered by some dark force, and then I heard the following:

"I cry for magic - I feel it dancing in the light
But it was cold - I lost my hold
To the shadows of the night


There's no sign of the morning coming
You've been left on your own
Like a Rainbow in the Dark."



I've since had a few synchronistic 'run-ins' with big black birds each day where I find them perched in my path while out walking - synchronistic in that I will be pondering the dream or some aspect of it and then right in front of me there will be sitting a crow or magpie, and there it will remain as I walk past - only about a 2 meters away from me. Street signs, fences, low branches, etc, there they are, one at a time (not groups). I don't feel menaced, just like there's a little 'nod' between us. It's still going on now in mid-October, the latest being this morning...

Also, the following videos appeared on my Youtube front page as selections like by friends and subscribers, both on the same day, featuring the birds from my dream in various locations:



Anyone else had any dreams or visions with similar symbolism - duality, light and dark, choice, darkness overcoming the light, black bird etc? If so I'd love to hear.

6 comments:

  1. Ravens are quite common where I live.
    They've been known to attack if hungry
    or mistreated ,but they've also saved
    people who fed them.

    Recently I came across a very curious
    synchronicity in which the word Byrne
    was linked with various secrets.

    The author of the book "The Secret"
    is named Byrne and byrne is also
    the secret word typed in to activate
    cheats in the computer game Populous
    the beginning.

    I looked up Byrne and found that it
    means Raven!

    There may be a great secret being
    kept from us and I interpret this
    dream you had in that this secret
    might get the better of a large
    portion of the population..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the bat, it reminded me of the parable of the caged birds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vKiJ_ejIo
    (Note on the 40th verse: 40 is associated with Nigredo in Alchemy. The bird symbol for Nigredo is the Raven. You can read about Nigredo here http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/alchemy%202.htm).

    Another possible interpretation: maybe it means you are going to meet your twin flame soon???

    From your dream: I could tell they belonged together and had some meaningful relationship as if they were a couple. I got a sense of a great love binding them.

    Reminded me of this:
    ***************
    Twin flames, also called twin souls, are literally the other half of our soul....It is more intense than any other union, and this intensity is at a soul level, not as much in the physical or even emotional bodies. …the strongest attraction is of spirit. This is one of the distinguishing characteristics of a twin soul. Many people think they have met their twin because the attraction is so intense, but it is a karmic attraction, one of need or bodily desire rather than the Divine Love of twins....All other relationships through all our lives could be said to be "practice" for the twin, the ultimate relationship.
    ***************

    And this from your dream: There was nothing felt regarding the black bird. It was like a mechanism carrying out orders...as if it was a dark abyss manifested to carry out a natural process.

    Reminded me of this:
    *******************
    At the end of the cycle of division… we separated from our twin, the other half of our soul-self... As part of the divine plan, separation had to be experienced at all soul levels... Then, when the time was right, we would reverse the entire process and experience the ecstatic joy of reunion.
    *****************

    So maybe the black bird represents the separation. When you say that it was emotionless, like simply the carrying out of a natural process, it's much like the separation of the twins as part of the divine plan. And now that you are seeing the black birds again, it represents the reversal & an approaching reunion w/your twin, especially since you say " I don't feel menaced, just like there's a little 'nod' between us." Supposedly there's a lot of synchronicity involved in twin flame reunions.

    Also relates to Novelty theory:

    *******************
    …We are finding that more and more twins are finding each other now, because of the acceleration of spiritual transformation and opportunities for soul evolution we are all experiencing. People are evolving and learning and healing at such a fast rate that they are getting ready for their twins faster. What used to take lifetimes to learn and heal, people are now going through in years or even months. This is the astounding level of acceleration we and the planet are going through.

    When twins get together, it is for some kind of spiritual service work. This is their primary reason for finding each other, because through their union a huge birthing of creative energy is released, to be used for their mission together. More and more twins are attempting to get together now to help the planet and humanity make a big shift forward in consciousness."
    **********************

    I don't know what you'll think/feel about this interpretation, not sure if you have dreams like this all the time =P But anyway, this the other thing that sprang to mind as I was reading about your dream. Hope it was useful or at least entertaining lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Nobody again :)

    Ran into a rainbow sync today. An introductory quote from a book called "Twin Souls Merging":

    THE TRANSCENDENTAL RAINBOW
    In Hindu and Buddhist Tantra, those who have realized, and overcome, the poverty of their ties on Earth are said to have attained the highest meditative state possible -- that of the rainbow body

    -- Jane Hope

    I also noticed you added Brandon Lee's final interview from "The Crow". I love the theme of justice. I also like how he describes the bird. He says that the bird is a guide that reminds him of who he was. It's similar to the ideas about twin flames; supposedly, meeting them triggers some kind of recollection about who we "really" are. My favorite part is where he talks about savoring each moment of life, because you never know when your time will come. That really resonated with me :)

    Well, if I see any more rainbow things, or black bird things, I will post.

    Cheers <3
    Me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Terror, horror, sadness"- yes, all these I'm familiar with

    I can relate most to the lorikeet left behind. Humor me while I role play.

    I remember perceiving the blackness more through my brother’s eyes during the initial attacks. He seemed to understand it, as he spoke at length or at least in gestures and squawks during pauses between further attacks. I could not grasp all he communicated. Though I was too dumb or stunned or something to GET IT, to understand the threat seemingly as much as he had (I think I was still stunned in that very brief joyous recognition and couldn’t imagine any darkness could possibly cast a shadow upon that degree of Home/Love/Joy), even more so once he was gone I knew my reprieve must be spent on understanding the darkness. I didn't know who or what the black bird was or where it had taken him, I only knew Meaning/Color had been sucked from the world, and more than anything I worried about him, wherever he might be, "how is he? What has become of him?"…

    "It must have been just a nightmare", I thought, as one day I woke up human and lo and behold there was he, still reachable, though much farther away. I felt certain once we were close again we would have as much fun playing and discovering the mission we'd both whispered guesses about, as we did for that very brief time before the darkness had come. But "guess it's not in the cards" he said…

    Sitting right there in front of my eyes, there he was again! but the darkness had changed him, he couldn’t even recognize me. Oh there were bursts of recognition here and there, but he didn't need me anymore. He'd found Darkness would accept forgetfulness + romantic entanglement in return for 'freedom'. "Torrential", yes. Such was the weight of sorrow even he, in his darkness/romance-clouded transformation could hear her anguished cries coming from the next room –as she finally remembered it all, but this time with full understanding of the horror of what had happened, what he'd been through in those moments before the Darkness took him, how useless and naïve she'd been unable to help him, and now here he was again, not dead, but right here! But he now had a life to live, so paint the anguish as obsessive whatever and let's get on with it, he seemed to admonish her, as always since the darkness first cast a shadow, even before he'd been disappeared the darkness had begun to work into him.

    In those moments she saw it all was true after all. The black bird, the abduction, the underlying deep connection, but for what?? So that she can wonder wonder wonder 'what exactly had the darkness done to him that he can’t recognize me, though he was the first to say "hey, I know you" way back when…?' She had found him! but it didn’t matter, it was just too late.

    All became nothing; everything none.

    What was there to do but seek the Darkness. She made herself bait and waited and waited and one day, long after she'd forgotten --though its strange glow spoke volumes of forgotten knowns-- along came the black bird to bear her away to the cave heart of darkness… and before she knew what was happening she had succumbed to the Darkness too (dreams of stitchlings lining up all the lorikeets to strap them to a conveyor belt and squench all their guts out, stuffing stitchling bodies with their repurposed innards, combined with threads of sorrow and dark and lots and lots of raw poop culture).

    Now she knew, NOW SHE KNEW… nothing. no love, no Home, no friends, no compassion from the world… so eventually none For it either. All loved ones forgotten except her child, whom she was worried would be infected next if she stuck around too close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So she ran and ran while the darkness followed…until one day, something about the rhyme and rhythm of the galloping fugue sparked a long forgotten image. She stopped running, turned, and the Darkness scattered back among the World, a safe radius away. Just this remembering was enough to push back all ambient Darkness and now lit, the world unfolded a clear Way before her. She could see precisely what had happened to him, from her own insides-out. Yet, his having gone first afforded her ability to pick up the rest of the clues about what the Darkness is and not only how to fully recover but an even older memory of their shared mission to help the other creatures within the Densities.

    But no matter what she says, or how she says it, he refuses to respond. For a long time she thought maybe it's just too late for him, maybe it was just too much and he simply can’t reconcile his lives before and after the Darkness, but then (besides the relentless dreams and visions returning stronger than ever before), fate / the larger mission intervenes and shoves him in front of her face on the internet. He is seemingly healthy and happy and even focused on many of the same themes as pertain to the mission, yet no response. He tweets a lot, like you Evasius, which for the life of her she cannot comprehend… how mirrors and romance and his human life could be such a pull he can't even take the time to acknowledge his closest sister who DOES remember the horror and his terror and more than anything the fun and laughter and closeness and likeness and understanding that no one else has been able to come close to doing/being. And besides the resonance, what about our duty? What about our pledge to anchor light from within this realm? More often than not, she’s sure it comes together just exactly how/when it needs to, but if so then WHY NO RESPONSE?

    Fits of frustration, then desperation, then forced patience (just like the other critters, if he doesn’t remember then urging him to a mission he cannot complete is just cruel, there’s no reason to break the news if the downside is only but one more tour around the death wheel) and even apathy –when nothing else is left, for what else is there to feel, between sheer joy at knowing he does still exist in some form, somewhere,,, when I remember but he seemingly does not?

    During the worst of times she’s made herself forget him, but back he comes in visions and dreams upon dreams, 90% of which she is exuberantly grateful to receive, even the ones replaying the separation, because then he’s close at least, even if only for a moment. Many times she's content to know that eventually they will meet again, whether this life or some other, but really, does she have that luxury? To just wait and wonder? He says he’s happy, but how can that be? Happy enough to forget the whole fucking purpose? HOW CAN THAT BE

    ***

    I don’t know if everyone has such a partner, perhaps romance is practice for this special graduation type mission we all achieve one day, or maybe the visions of choosing to crucify oneself on the cross of space-time, to shed light into a closing and sick system from within, are more than an archetype universal to The Densities. Whichever the case may be, the ‘huge birthing of creative energy’… yes, this is the Service, the mission. Vortices, yes, together we create the channel through which purer light can penetrate the realm of sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It used to be enough just knowing he was out there, but well, that was then. It seems (at least the last few days) the closer I get the worse it becomes –fuck see now I’m quoting NIN. More and more synchronicity, shocking shocking synchronicity (but still no response) >> ‘eschaton’ was the working title for a graphic novel I started (*searches docs and finds notes on said from 4/26/08 and finds first brief synopsis (instead of storyboard sketches :*) "Story of dissolving borders / reality becoming more thought responsive. Characters have their own experience of moving into a more thought-responsive reality. Some continue to be suggestible, such that combined with the new powers of manifestation, these slumbering people become yet further enmeshed and subdued, slave batteries in the corporate global netting. Some others awake to this newer, more thought-responsive reality, each in their own unique way. Good guys / bad guys split ///hiccup [story threads] and … then some morphing toward dawning new era 'hey, it wasn’t death afterall' ---'good and bad guys' are defined and then assimilated as having been both as necessary/ 2 sides of the same coin"

    --if nothing else, my way of coming to terms with all the Darkness and realizing that was part of my way of awakening…

    Wish I had time to work this thing over a few times, but it’s been a rough few weeks and I find I just don’t have it in me, I’m just very very sad right now.

    as I was typing this Schism by Tool plays "I know the pieces fit cuz I watched them fall away" [foreversigh] [[damn I'm feeling dramatic today]]

    ReplyDelete